Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spring 1




Spring has the power to rejuvenate.

When the Polar Vortex swept in in early January, I woke in the middle of the night and ran hot water through the pipes, left the cold water in the tubs dripping, and took a flashlight downstairs to the front door.
I felt a pencil thin cold draft push against me, so I approached the door closely and saw small crystals of ice forming next to a small opening where the door handle meets the jamb.

There was a hoar frost on the edge of the door and the door handle. I got a hair dryer and towel and extension cord, melted the ice and wiped it dry, then ran weather tape over the openings.

I maintained awareness in the watches of the winter's nights.

I hibernated, I withdrew.
I still moved about, but I withdrew from most of the world. I went through motions, but my heart felt frozen.

Florida thawed me, but I went back into hibernation when we returned.
I did not read my friends' blogs. I grew supremely tired of reading news. I could not apply myself to poetry.
I could shovel snow.
That I did do.

It is spring now, and everything feels different, even though it is very cold today.

--

No comments: