Search This Blog

Saturday, January 03, 2015

Doubt




I started to watch the film Doubt again, preparatory to erasing it from the DVR, which was digitally bursting with mementos of entertainment just like old Fibber McGee's closet was (Google it!) is the old days.



But I was astounded! I could not erase what I saw!

There is nothing but Meryl Streep, and I had not quite caught on before. Everybody else is good, but they are just fluff. It is Meryl Streep's Sister Aloysius that is sun, moon, earth, of that small galaxy.

Meryl Streep's interpretation is so incredible that she actually adds material to the character as she plays it.
As she portrays Sister Aloysius, she fills out what the original playwright wrote and what the screenplay writers wrote, but she also add layer after layer of meaning that creates a complexity of fine detail that surely overwhelms the eye, ear, and understanding of the one-time viewer.

I have never seen anything like it before.

--

No comments: