Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2017

The Bonfire-Stick Of The Vanities



We received an Amazon FireStick for Christmas. We get to see a whole lot of stuff now.
I shall be writing about some of it. I will write about Game of Thrones, but not quite yet. I want to make sure I get the right guys in my cross-hairs.

Today, the ScyFy channel series The Expanse:

In the picture above, upper right-hand corner, there is the statement "We've Gone Too Far."
That pretty much sums it up.

Appalling Features Section

(1) The eternal chasm between rich and poor is there, and I may not have the best memory in the world, I may not have total recall... but the Bumtown looks a lot like Poverty Corners in the original Total Recall. I mean, down to old-timey bladed fans of every scale moving air, and lest you miss it, strips of muslin and chintz blowing in the breeze, just to prove them fans are hittin' on all cylinders (or whatever the metaphor is for high-performance non-Dyson air moving devices!)

(2) No Arnold Schwatznegger.

(3) Oh, and there's a detective story twist that's a combo of Detective Bumstead's work in Dark City and  Rick Deckard in Blade Runner. Again, I liked the originals.

William Hurt as Detective Bumstead in Dark City

--

No comments: